14.7.08

Entretient avec Jean-Michel Basquiat


Il y a cette entrevue de Basquiat apparue dans le magasine allemand Wolkenkratzer qui me fascine ces derniers jours: 

Isabelle Graw: "How did you work?" 
Jean-Michel Basquiat: "I start a picture and I finish it. I don't think about art while I work. I try to think about life."
Graw: "What about the influence of Afro-Caribbean art, or of Cy Twombly, as discerned by the critics?"
Basquiat: "I don't listen to what art critics say. I don't know anybody who needs critic to find out what art is."

L'entrevue s'est terminé alors que la journaliste demandait au jeune peintre si elle devait aller à New-York avant d'écrire son article sur lui.

Basquiat: "What you do if you were writing about a dead artist?"
Graw: "I would do as much research as possible, to get all of the available information."
Basquiat: "Then do it that way. Just pretend I was dead." 

Cette entrevue a été tenue deux ans avant la mort prématuré de l'artiste.